Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Paneuropean Mk.III & -B, Pt.2

A little housekeeping to start, I added three photos to Pt.1 of this project.


Now to the Mk.III-B. I really didn't like it almost as soon as I made it. I'll admit it, I took the easy way out. (Oh, the power of the Dark Side.)  I decided to go back to my original concept of the pylons being farther apart and pointing straight forward. I managed to break the glue bond without too much drama. I was afraid the main batteries would be damaged during construction, so I tried to remove them as well. Gentle flexing didn't break the joint, so I was forced to break the guns off.  Now for some tricky cutting and filing.

This time I didn't cut the towers in half, I would use them full height. The problem I had was the length of the tower's base was greater than the width of the flat spot above the main guns. Since I didn't want anything overhanging, I needed to cut some triangular slots in the superstructure. Using a tower as a guide, I scribed the slots location, then using a razor saw I cut two lines deep into the model. Then for the next hour and a half, I used files, rasps, knives, and a cutter in a Dremel to carefully remove the material in-between. Even going slowly and deliberately, the slot ended up too wide. When I placed the tower in the slot, it was perfectly flush with the outside edge of the slot, but there was a huge gap on the inside. OK, I thought, putty should solve that problem, so I moved over to the other slot. I began again by scribing and sawing, and after a few minutes with a knife thought, Screw it, this is way too much effort for a simple wargaming miniature. So, I used the Dremel to grind the top flat enough to accommodate both towers. This is what I ended up with.





I like this arrangement better than the first, but it's still not perfect. There is some more tweaking to be done. Oh, the main batteries?  I drilled small holes in each gun and in both turrets where they broke off. I used brass wire as reinforcing pins, and CA'ed them back together. You can't tell they were ever off.  Please let me know what you think of this arrangement. Don

No comments:

Post a Comment